The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) considers all competitive students with an emphasis on those students from Alabama and the surrounding regions who are committed to serving the rural and medically underserved areas of the state and region. ACOM uses multiple criteria to select the most qualified candidates from an average applicant pool of about 4,000.
ACOM uses a rolling admissions process in which applications are reviewed and student interview decisions are made at regular intervals during the admission cycle. Interviews are conducted and selection decisions are made until the class is filled. Applicants are notified of the admission status within a few weeks after their interview. Candidates should apply early in the admissions cycle to be competitive in the process.
Prior to matriculation each applicant must meet the following requirements:
- high school diploma or its recognized equivalent
- bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Students with 75% of coursework completed toward a baccalaureate degree may be considered under special circumstances and must be approved by the Dean.
- 8 semester hours of Biology with labs
- 8 semester hours of Physics with labs
- 8 semester hours of Inorganic (General) Chemistry with labs
- 8 semester hours of Organic Chemistry with labs
- 6 semester hours of English Composition and/or Literature
- Official exam scores from the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
- Prospective students are urged to take the test as early as possible. The January test date will be the last one accepted for the current cycle. The MCAT must be taken within 4 years of the desired date of matriculation. For 2019 enrollment, exams taken before August 2015 will not be accepted to complete an applicant record.
Important Dates and Deadlines for the 2019-2020 Application Cycle
AACOMAS Application Portal Opens
AACOMAS Applications are Available to ACOM
ACOM Begins Applicant Interviews
First Seat Deposit Deadline
AACOMAS Application Deadline
Supplemental Application and Supporting Documents Deadline
ACOM Class of 2023 Profile
53 percent of the students came from Alabama, Georgia, and Florida while the remaining students represent 26 states.
78% are between 20-24
(The range is from 21-34)
Average score was 503
Total GPA Average — 3.4
Science GPA — 3.3