The PRIMARY ROLE OF A PRECEPTOR is to assess a student’s ability to accurately:
- Perform a medical history and physical exam based on presenting complaint & appropriate to the setting
- Formulate a differential diagnosis appropriate to patient & setting
- Order and interpret tests to narrow the differential diagnosis to a working diagnosis
- Describe/perform procedures to diagnose & treat a patient’s problems
- Craft a treatment plan appropriate to a patient’s problems and situation
- Work with patients & members of the healthcare team ethically and professionally
Preceptors should assess these abilities in multiple venues, including at the bedside, during oral presentations, and during rounds.